Hong Kong Dragon Boat Festival August 4–5, 9am; Flushing Meadows–Corona Park. Past years have included kung fu demonstrations by the Shaolin Temple warrior monks; traditional music, dance and art from China, Mexico and Peru; and a diverse, delicious selection of international foods. It is a fun-filled, multicultural weekend more than 170 teams vie for trophies and cash prizes all weekend—piloting long, colorful vessels that are as delightful a spectacle as the competition itself.
Summer Streets till August 18, Park Ave. from Brooklyn Bridge to Central Park. For three Saturdays the cling-cling of bicycle bells 7am to 1pm, and strolling to dancing. This year’s edition will also include a 160-foot zip line at Foley Square.
SummerStage in Central Park, Amadou & Mariam and Theophilus London for free on August 4.
August 5 Mad Decent Block Party. An evening of food, games and music; the Mad Decent Block Party in Williamsburg noon 50 Kent Ave. RSVP maddecentblockparty.com
Tango lessons this Sunday at Hudson River Park 6:30 lesson 7pm band. It is till 8/12 at Pier 84 by 11th Avenue and at W.44th St.
- GOP lawmakers working on tax reform face a painful reminder that Trump has no ideological drive to tame the US deficit
- US deficit hits $666 billion -- this year
- Spain's Prime Minister announces unprecedented plan to stop Catalonia's bid for independence
- Missing California hikers found dead, locked in an embrace
- Lawmaker and wife of ex-HHS head asks whether people with HIV can be quarantined
- Police: Woman's death in freezer an accident
- Loved ones say good-bye to Sgt. La David Johnson, US soldier slain in Niger
- Man accused of recording teen's suicide
- Australia gets a letter from North Korea
- Battles rise from the ashes of the war on ISIS
- Catalonia independence: Spain pushes to remove leaders
- Crowds rally against direct rule in Barcelona
- Trump says he will allow scheduled release of JFK files
- Islamic State and the crisis in Iraq and Syria in maps
- Storm Brian: Gale-force winds and high seas hit UK coast
- Magazine apologises to Solange for editing image
- Aberdeenshire man 'kidnapped' in Vietnam is found alive
- BBC camera crew's view from a warzone
- Church of Scientology opens Birmingham HQ
- Modelling debut for boy, 11, with Down's syndrome