Hong Kong Dragon Boat Festival August 4–5, 9am; Flushing Meadows–Corona Park. Past years have included kung fu demonstrations by the Shaolin Temple warrior monks; traditional music, dance and art from China, Mexico and Peru; and a diverse, delicious selection of international foods. It is a fun-filled, multicultural weekend more than 170 teams vie for trophies and cash prizes all weekend—piloting long, colorful vessels that are as delightful a spectacle as the competition itself.
Summer Streets till August 18, Park Ave. from Brooklyn Bridge to Central Park. For three Saturdays the cling-cling of bicycle bells 7am to 1pm, and strolling to dancing. This year’s edition will also include a 160-foot zip line at Foley Square.
SummerStage in Central Park, Amadou & Mariam and Theophilus London for free on August 4.
August 5 Mad Decent Block Party. An evening of food, games and music; the Mad Decent Block Party in Williamsburg noon 50 Kent Ave. RSVP maddecentblockparty.com
Tango lessons this Sunday at Hudson River Park 6:30 lesson 7pm band. It is till 8/12 at Pier 84 by 11th Avenue and at W.44th St.
- President tweets support for a GOP plan to avert a shutdown, but the votes may not be there
- 2nd Dem senator says he'll vote 'yes'
- CNN poll: DACA not worth a shutdown, except to Democrats
- Analysis: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Here comes the government shutdown
- Trump in 2013: President responsible for shutdown
- Here's what the last government shutdown looked like
- GOP senator: We don't know where party is on DACA
- Why isn't the Stormy Daniels story a bigger deal?
- WSJ: Trump lawyer paid porn star through private company
- CNN Poll: Trump's approval rating edges up
- Ministers won't fight serial rapist release
- Las Vegas shooting: Police say gunman's girlfriend won't face charges
- Theresa May to meet Donald Trump in Davos
- Nassar case: Gold medallists Raisman and Wieber face abuser
- Church of England warns future of Down's 'under question'
- Dolores O'Riordan: Funeral arranged for next week
- US shutdown: Senate bill on verge of collapse amid rancour
- Jewish leaders call on Inner North London coroner to quit
- Coca-Cola pledges to recycle all packaging by 2030
- The man risking his life to save pink dolphins