Belmont Stakes Saturday, The favorite horse I’ll have another was ijured and will not run. First post at 11:35am, Belmont Stakes at approximately 6:30pm; Belmont Park
By far the area’s biggest horse-racing event takes place in Elmont (yes, that’s Elmont, just east of Queens—not Belmont , the Bronx neighborhood), New York . And it’s even bigger this year, as I’ll Have Another attempts to become the first horse since Secretariat in 1973 to capture horse racing’s Triple Crown. There’s certain to be a massive crowd on hand, and fans all over the world will watch on TV. The main attraction doesn’t start until a bit after 6:30pm, but you can arrive before noon for a full day of races. LIRR goes near by. ticketmaster.com. Big Apple Barbecue Block Party Sat and Sun 11am-6pm
Fifth Avenue and East 23rd Street , Flatiron District, Manhattan
Pit masters from NYC, Alabama , Texas , Massachusetts , South Carolina and many other locations descend on Madison Square Park for a lip-smacking food festival. Event admission is free, with award-winning barbecue and Southern-inspired fare from the country’s top pitmasters available for $8/plate. Live jazz, bluegrass and R&B music also emerging and established rock, blues and soul artists take place onstage throughout the day, and some of the country’s most innovative chefs share insights and cooking tips in the Seminar Tent. bigapplebbq.org.
Kids in Motion Saturday, 11a.m.–4 p.m. Join Parks for a fun-filled day of fitness and sports for kids. Kids in Motion is a free event to celebrate the upcoming opening of McCarren Pool & Play Center in nearby Greenpoint and encourage families to take advantage of Parks’ recreation programming. This free event features sports like double dutch, street hockey, volleyball and more. Kids can join our Learn to Ride a Bike lessons, race through an obstacle course, or work up a sweat in yoga and zumba classes. Participants at the event will receive a Kids In Motion Passport, featuring select activities of the day. Kids who join in every activity in the passport can redeem it at the end of the day for a prize. In addition, Parks staff will be on site to help the whole family sign up for a Parks Recreation Membership card so that they can join in the fun & fitness at McCarren when it opens on June 28. Maria Hernandez Park , Brooklyn
National Puerto Rican Day Parade, Sunday. More than 80,000 Puerto Ricans march up Fifth Avenue from 44th to 79th Streets in Manhattan , beginning at 11am. Nearly 3 million spectators every year and includes energetic musical performances, floats and a host of Puerto Rican celebrities. Red Hook Jazz Festival at President and Van Brunt Streets, Brooklyn. Local talent highlighted like area acts Hot Cut Chili Pepper 7, The Flail, Max Johnson Trio, Nick Gianni’s Evolution and Travis Sullivan’s Bjorkestra. June 17 brings in a performance by the Mike Baggetta Quartet. For more info, visit the festival’s Facebook page at Red Hook Jazz Festival 2011. $10 suggested for adults, kids are free.
AfroCubism / Alsarah & The Nubatones Saturday 7:30 PM concert at the Prospect Park Bandshell
- They carried signs. They wore symbolic price tags. They told lawmakers 'enough' gun violence.
- Emma Gonzalez: Fight for your lives before it's someone else's job
- MLK Jr.'s granddaughter surprises rally crowd
- In pictures: The March for Our Lives protests
- Marchers' message to naysayers: 'Welcome to the revolution'
- Some of the most powerful messages weren't spoken
- While students marched for their lives, these folks marched for their guns
- She left her gun at home. Then she was assaulted.
- George Clooney, Paul McCartney and more celebrities join March for Our Lives
- The Parkland kids keep checking their privilege
- NHS: Over 3,000 more midwifery training places offered
- Vote Leave 'broke spending limits' in Brexit referendum
- March For Our Lives: Huge gun-control rallies sweep US
- March For Our Lives: 'Fight for your life before it’s somebody else’s job.'
- Eurovision: First winner Lys Assia dies aged 94
- Australia launch ball-tampering probe
- Australia-UK: First non-stop flight en route from Perth to London
- The man who has to crawl through his front door
- Apple Music's Jimmy Iovine says streaming services are 'too similar'
- RAF at 100: The A-lister meets the heroes