El Barrio Weeks June 1 – June 16 Arts, dining, shopping and culture take over El Barrio/East Harlem during the second-annual El Barrio Week—which actually lasts a full two weeks. El Barrio Restaurant Week (featuring $20.12 prix-fixe menus), where visitors can sample the neighborhood’s delicious dining options, and Shop El Barrio, an opportunity for visitors to support local businesses. Coinciding with the East Harlem International Film Festival (June 1–8), the 116th Street Festival (June 9), the National Puerto Rican Day Parade (June 10) and the Museum Mile Festival (June 12), the celebration is set to bring art, cooking, spoken word, food tastings and dance performances to this always-vibrant neighborhood. For a full schedule of events and offerings. visitelbarrio.com.
Jimmy Cliff the reggae legend at Prospect Park Bandshell June 5
Saturday: History of Puerto Rican Folk Dance.
Al Oerter Recreation Center (in Flushing Meadows Corona Park), Queens 11am
10 a.m.–5 p.m. This event repeats every week on Sunday and Saturday between 5/19/2012 and 10/7/.
Kayaking on the Hudson join the Downtown Boathouse for 20-minute instructional paddles, and explore the Hudson River first-hand. Please wear a bathing suit or shorts and a t-shirt, and know how to swim. Weather permitting. No registration required. Kayaks and life vests provided. (in Riverside Park) 72nd Street and Hudson River, Manhattan.
Bryant Park Petanque Tournaments Sunday 10–6 p.m. This event repeats every day between 6/2 and 6/3 spectators welcome.
- The White House is transferring power to the Pentagon and it could entrench the US deeper into conflicts
- Fareed's take: US headed for another decade of war
- Opinion: Trump gave away his most consequential decision
- House defense bill calls for $27B more than Trump budget proposes
- Thousands flee as ISIS gains foothold in Philippines
- Several dead, more than 30 missing after tourist boat sinks
- Senators call for more time on health care
- Mom tweets son's large hospital bill
- Trump says Obama stole 'mean' term
- Schiff got 'queasy feeling' from Lynch
- John McDonnell: Grenfell victims 'murdered by political decisions'
- Police officers injured in London protest over man's death
- Newcastle Eid celebration: Woman bailed after crash
- Dodging IS snipers on Mosul frontline
- Boy, 16, charged with rape of girl, 8, in Manchester
- Ed Sheeran closes Glastonbury 2017
- Six killed as Colombia boat sinks
- Seven hospitalised amid Oldham drug warning
- Holland & Barrett sold for £1.8bn to Russian billionaire
- Lib Dems seek end to pay cap for emergency services