Alan Guinsberg started the beatnick movement before the hippies. He attracted artists to the village in the 50’s His poem the Howl is having a free festival at Tompkins Park, East Village, Manhattan form Friday to Sunday.
Saturday events: June 2, 11 AM – 7, North Stage, Enter From the 9th Street Transverse, Avenues A or B & 9th Street. Offering carnival games, funhouses for all ages, fairway attractions, arts and crafts activities, Origami, miniature golf, and continuous entertainment on the Kids Stage provided by Rosie’s Theater Kids, Tap City, and Honeybee House among others. Story-telling hour, mask making, face painting, balloon fun, clowns and more, and this year’s expanded Kids Art Around the Park offering limitless opportunities for free expression.
HOT HOWL DISCO TEA DANCE 2-5 PM Near the General Slocum Memorial. Enter From The 9th Street Transverse, Avenues A or B & 9th Street, Between the North Stage and the Ballfield. The HOWL! Festival’s Poppin’ Tea Dance. With Super DJ Johnny Dynell.
VANGELINE THEATER Presents THE RAFT OF THE MEDUSA 4-4:30 PM North Stage, Enter Through South-West Entrance, Avenue A & 7th Street. The critically acclaimed Butoh Dance Company inspired by the oil painting by the Nineteenth Century French Romantic painter, Théodore Géricault. Conceived, choreographed, and directed by VANGELINE for the Vangeline http://www.vangeline.com
Art Around the Park The Western, Southern & Northern Perimeter. A live action weekend-long event involving 140 artists of all ages turns an 8 foot high, 900 foot long blank “canvas” encircling the exterior of Tompkins Square Park into an explosion of color and creativity. A world of artistic styles and creativity, this year’s Art Around the Park pays tribute to the late, great painter and tagger Jean Michel Basquiat.
- Trump-Obama relationship has reached historic low
- Trump blasts Obama on Twitter, demands apology
- Opinion: Why isn't Obama hitting back?
- Trump's new foil: A silent Barack Obama
- Australian cardinal charged with sexual assault offenses
- Diehard ISIS fighters await final fight
- California says key ingredient in Roundup weed killer can cause cancer
- Man cracks ransomware code
- Good Samaritan beaten after helping child
- ABC settles 'pink slime' lawsuit
- Grenfell fire: Retired judge to lead disaster inquiry
- Cardinal Pell: Vatican treasurer charged with sex offences
- IS faces end game in Mosul, says Michael Fallon
- Stalking victim rejects police apology over stabbing
- US woman shoots boyfriend in YouTube stunt
- Sheikh steps in to buy village chapel in Cornwall
- 'My son was circumcised without my consent'
- Theresa May to seek backing of MPs for Queen's Speech
- Brazil Temer: Car 'rams gate of presidential palace'
- London bridge attack officer: 'I wasn't backing down'