Alan Guinsberg started the beatnick movement before the hippies. He attracted artists to the village in the 50’s His poem the Howl is having a free festival at Tompkins Park, East Village, Manhattan form Friday to Sunday.
Saturday events: June 2, 11 AM – 7, North Stage, Enter From the 9th Street Transverse, Avenues A or B & 9th Street. Offering carnival games, funhouses for all ages, fairway attractions, arts and crafts activities, Origami, miniature golf, and continuous entertainment on the Kids Stage provided by Rosie’s Theater Kids, Tap City, and Honeybee House among others. Story-telling hour, mask making, face painting, balloon fun, clowns and more, and this year’s expanded Kids Art Around the Park offering limitless opportunities for free expression.
HOT HOWL DISCO TEA DANCE 2-5 PM Near the General Slocum Memorial. Enter From The 9th Street Transverse, Avenues A or B & 9th Street, Between the North Stage and the Ballfield. The HOWL! Festival’s Poppin’ Tea Dance. With Super DJ Johnny Dynell.
VANGELINE THEATER Presents THE RAFT OF THE MEDUSA 4-4:30 PM North Stage, Enter Through South-West Entrance, Avenue A & 7th Street. The critically acclaimed Butoh Dance Company inspired by the oil painting by the Nineteenth Century French Romantic painter, Théodore Géricault. Conceived, choreographed, and directed by VANGELINE for the Vangeline http://www.vangeline.com
Art Around the Park The Western, Southern & Northern Perimeter. A live action weekend-long event involving 140 artists of all ages turns an 8 foot high, 900 foot long blank “canvas” encircling the exterior of Tompkins Square Park into an explosion of color and creativity. A world of artistic styles and creativity, this year’s Art Around the Park pays tribute to the late, great painter and tagger Jean Michel Basquiat.
- Trump has more to worry about than just the Russia probe. He now faces a litigation drama involving a porn actress, a reality show star and an ex-Playboy model.
- 4 things Mueller wants to hear from Trump
- Tapper: Trump's nastier to me than to Putin
- Trump attorney will appeal judge's decision in Summer Zervos defamation case
- Analyst says Trump should worry about Zervos case
- Fox News military analyst's blistering note hit network 'like a bombshell'
- Trump furious over 'DO NOT CONGRATULATE' leak
- Analysis: The real problem for Donald Trump in the 'DO NOT CONGRATULATE' story
- Opinion: Trump's calls should be secret, but congratulating Putin is like praising boots when they crush ants
- Lawmaker slams Trump on Senate floor
- Facebook's Zuckerberg 'sorry' over Cambridge Analytica 'breach'
- Brexit: EU leaders set to discuss transition agreement
- Westminster Bridge attack victim's sister refuses to dwell on killer
- A blueberry muffin 'could have day's worth of sugar'
- 'Radical change' needed on countryside
- Austin bomber: Deceased suspect named in Texas blasts
- Why aren't Muslim families fostering children?
- Manchester United apply to have professional women's team
- Chronic fatigue trial results 'not robust', new study says
- Shoreham air crash: Pilot Andy Hill to be charged over deaths