Public Beaches Open Saturday. Approximately 14 miles of beaches, which are located in every borough except Manhattan. Lifeguards are on duty during posted swimming hours (10am to 6pm daily), and surfing is encouraged on two stretches of Rockaway Beach in Queens. Saturday: Bike Fetish Day: BBQ also,starts at noon, 2pm awards for best ugliest bike mutant bike and handmade bike. Havemeyer Street and Grand Street Williamsburg (718) 782-4842 After party in the CR Backyard 6 – 10pm free http://cityreliquary.org/
Saturday: Governors Island in New York Harbor 212-363-3200 Governors Island Family Festival at Nolan Park from noon to 4pm. Live music from Astrograss and The Maybelles, theater performances from Arm of the Sea Theater, dancing, arts and crafts and face painting. The ferry ride over—is completely free. governorsislandalliance.org free ferry near the Staten Island Ferry and another ferry going down the East River for a fee.
1st Annual Community Garden Domino Tournament Game 1, 2 p.m.–7 p.m. This free domino tournament is open to players of all ages, rating, and strength. There will be bonuses, including an award ceremony for tournament participants. Games will be held two Saturdays a month from May 26 through August 25 in El Flamboyan Community Garden. Stop by and learn how you can host future domino events in your garden. El Flamboyan Community Garden) 592 Tinton Avenue, Bronx (212) 788-8065 Lillian.firstname.lastname@example.org
Sunday: NY Zombie Crawl in Williamsburg. Press on the event from the Daily News, Fear.net, Time Out NY, Village Voice. CBS says it’s one of the top 5 things to do in NY for Memorial Day Weekend. Sexiest reanimated corpses will be crowned. Horror burlesque, music, comedy and open bar. Crawl starts at 6pm meet at the Trash Bar, 256 Grand Street (215) 235-5603 nyczombiecrawl.com
Sunday: Summer on the Hudson: Tai Chi: Soldiers and Sailors Monument, Manhattan 8am his event repeats every week on Sunday between 5/6/ and 8/27. Learn and practice a slow moving martial art with health benefits for all fitness levels. W 89th Street and Riverside Drive
World Science Festival May 30–June 3. The goal of which is to better inform, inspire and engage the general public—science is illuminated through lectures, film screenings and other activities. Take in more than 50 themed events spanning five days covering everything from exoplanets to the correlation among mental illness and creativity and intelligence. This year’s star-studded cast of participants includes Director of the White House Office of Science and Technology Policy for President Obama, John Holdren; Nobel laureates William Phillips and Harold Varmus; scientists and best-selling authors Oliver Sacks and Brian Greene (and artists Lynette Wallworth and Tomás Saraceno.
Monday: Memorial Day Parade
It is a time to honor those citizens who’ve served the United States in times of war. Brooklyn’s Memorial Day Parade (145 years old!), which begins at Third Avenue and 87th Street. The Little Neck–Douglaston parade in Queens is reputedly the largest of its kind. In Manhattan, head uptown for a smaller parade in Inwood that begins at Broadway and Dyckman Street.
Memorial Day Special Memorial Walk: Maine Monument , Columbus Circle (in Central Park), Manhattan 1–3 p.m. Combine a walk through Central Park with a look at how different generations of New Yorkers viewed the Park as a proper place to remember their veterans. The tour cover s about two miles. It will end at Grand Army Plaza (Fifth Avenue and 59th Street). (212) 794-4064. Groups of seven or more people should call (212) 360-2726 or email email@example.com to schedule a custom tour. Accessibility level: Moderate inclines and stairs, paths clear and negotiable – only parts accessible to people with disabilities.
- Rep. Adam Schiff, top Democrat on the House Intelligence Committee, said the WH directed Bannon to avoid answering Hill queries in Russia probe
- Schiff: White House imposed gag order on Bannon
- Schiff: Bannon's refusal to answer questions 'unprecedented'
- Rep. Collins: If I were Bannon, I'd answer lawmakers' questions
- The ups and downs of the Bannon insurgency
- NYT: Mueller subpoenas Bannon
- Analysis: Donald Trump 1, Steve Bannon 0
- The Trump-Russia investigation, from the beginning
- Seething Booker tells DHS chief: Amnesia about 'shithole' meeting makes you complicit
- Booker: Trump's words fester, they poison
- Health service 'haemorrhaging' nurses, figures reveal
- Why are so many nurses quitting the NHS?
- Trump's cognitive ability is normal, says White House doctor
- Drivers stranded overnight on M74 as snow sweeps Scotland
- Jessica Falkholt: Home and Away actress has died, hospital says
- Bayeux Tapestry to be displayed in UK for the first time
- Most new cars must be electric by 2030, ministers told
- Dozens of women describe abuse by ex-doctor Larry Nassar
- Tory MP Ben Bradley 'sorry' for blog post about jobless
- Carillion was left with just £29m before going bankrupt