Woody Guthrie, America’s iconic folk singer his 100th birthday is coming up. “This Land is Your Land” was a famous song of his. The Grammy Museum and Woody Guthrie Publications have partnered together to put on a series of events, encapsulated under the title, “Woody 100.” The events take place on a multi-city tour that charts Guthrie’s travels throughout the country. Stops include four college campuses: University of Tulsa, Penn State University, Brooklyn College, and USC. The colleges’ locations were chosen for their contribution as landmarks in Guthrie’s journey. Invited to join the Grammy Museum and Woody Guthrie Publications on their journey to celebrate Guthrie’s legacy is Music2Life, “the leading organization harnessing the power of music for social change – through technology, artist engagement, and education – for current and new generations of musicians, fans and causes,” founded by Noel Paul Stookey (of Peter, Paul & Mary) and his daughter, Elizabeth Stookey Sunde. Information from USC’s Anneneberg Neon Tommy’s Cara Palmer.
Village Voice’s Michael Musto mentions Roslyn Kind is coming to Brooklyn College for a concert on Saturday April 28 at 8 PM, accompanied by piano. She is called a sumptuous singer and a really fun person. She is Barbra Streisand’s half sister, James Brolin’s sister-in-law, Josh Brolin’s stepaunt, and Elliot Gould’s ex-sister in-law, but believe me, Roslyn is very much her own person, with talent and personality to spare according to Musto.
There was a Trayvon Martin rally Saturday in Flatbush near the college.
The softball team the Bulldogs of Brooklyn College split a CUNYAC doubleheader with Baruch on a Spring Break Tuesday morning in Brooklyn.
- Supreme Court allows immediate ban on people from 6 Muslim-majority nations who lack 'bonafide' ties to US
- Justices will hear arguments in travel ban case this fall
- Appeals court clears way for review of immigrant vetting
- Court cites Trump tweets in travel ban ruling
- Supreme Court agrees to hear wedding cake case
- Analysis: Trump can shape the court with one retirement
- When the only thing standing between you and health care is your ZIP code
- Senate GOP health bill would slash Medicaid. Here's how
- Opinion: Why US health care costs defy common sense
- Mom tweets son's large hospital bill
- Conservatives agree pact with DUP to support May government
- Grenfell Tower: Cladding firm ends global sales for tower blocks
- Trump travel ban injunction lifted in part by Supreme Court
- Theresa May sets out post-Brexit offer on EU citizens
- Painter Salvador Dali's body to be exhumed for paternity suit
- HMS Queen Elizabeth : How to land a plane on new ship
- Man dies after taking 'potent' MDMA drug in Oldham
- Camber Sands death beach 'has hidden dangers'
- Ex-Archbishop Lord Carey resigns after child abuse review
- Al-Qaeda: Kidnapped Swede Johan Gustafsson freed after six years