Outsider Art Fair January 27 – 29 7 W 34th Street, Manhattan. In its 20th year the fair still showcases those who create work that is “visionary, intuitive, primitive and self-taught in nature”. The Dance on Camera Festival till January 31 at multiple locations. The festival features/premieres, repertory films and little-seen foreign fare, along with a number of panel discussions and Q&A sessions. U.S. Open Track & Field January 28, 7:30pm; Madison Square Garden Also televised live on ESPN.
Lunar New Year Parade. January 29 Chinatown, Manhattan. Stunning visuals, tantalizing treats and impressive performances. Brooklyn Chinese New Year Celebration 12–4pm Dragon dance, music, performances. Sunset Park Recreation Center (in Sunset Park) 43rd Street at 7th Avenue, Brooklyn.
Tu B’Shevat Celebration. January 29 2–3 pm. Celebrate the Jewish New Year of the Trees by participating in an interactive storytelling musical performance of The Hat Seller and the Monkeys and a shadow puppets presentation Under the Shade of the Mulberry Tree by NYC’s own Play me a Story. Free. Caribbean Garden at The New York Botanical Garden. January 29 10am–5 p.m. This event repeats every week on Sunday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday between 1/21 and 2/26. Discover the Haupt Conservatory’s permanent collection, including orange-yellow crotons, fuchsia bromeliads, and rosy-red hibiscus. Tour the many surprises in the Victorian-style glasshouse, where the harsh outdoor weather gives way to warm rain forest mists, soaring palm trees, and bright desert landscapes. $18 for students.
- The government may be headed for a shutdown on the one-year anniversary of Trump's presidency
- What a government shutdown means for you
- On shutdown and DACA fix, more questions than answers
- Opinion: Dems, don't let Trump's bad words kill DACA deal
- Trump says he's willing to make DACA deal after downplaying chances
- Analysis: Focusing on 'shithole' misses the point
- Trump: Durbin 'totally misrepresented' my comments
- Durbin: I'm stunned this is the White House's defense
- 13 people held captive in home, police say
- Detroit man deported to Mexico after 30 years in US
- Turpin: Shackled siblings found in Perris, California home
- Carillion: Small firms' support ends in 48 hours
- Top US gymnast Biles reveals abuse
- Australian father's instinct helps find trapped son
- 'Staggering' trade in fake degrees revealed
- Cranberries singer Dolores O'Riordan dies
- Iceland aims to be plastic free by 2023
- Product safety flaws 'exposed by Whirlpool danger dryers'
- Firefighter catches child from burning building
- £350m Brexit claim was 'too low', says Boris Johnson