Health and Race Walking in Central Park Saturday 9:30 –11:00 am.
Walks led by the NY Walkers Club for people 18+ years of all abilities. This low-impact fitness program is perfect for those who want to get in shape, build muscle tone and strength, and increase cardiovascular health while enjoying Central Park’s beautiful landscapes. Free and no pre-registration is required. North Meadow Recreation Center
Monday Martin Luther King Jr. Day Special at Seneca Village Central Park 12:30-1:30pm.
Seneca Village was Manhattan’s first known community of African-American property owners, on land that would become Central Park. Learn about the history of the village, the property owners, and what New York City was like at the time. Moderate level. 85th Street and Central Park West in Central Park
Monday Tribute to Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. at BAM, Brooklyn Borough President Marty Markowitz, and Medgar Evers College of The City University of New York present New York City’s largest public celebration honoring Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Keynote speaker Dennis M. Walcott, chancellor of the New York City Department of Education. Walcott has spent his life committed to Dr. King’s vision of social justice through advocacy of improved educational policy and social services for both children and adults. Walcott pays tribute to Dr. King’s enduring legacy in this uplifting, music-filled tribute to one of the great humanitarians of our time. Musical performances.
Monday The Beatles Sing-a-long Show 8:15pm $8 Union Hall in Park Slope with classic music videos, and movie clips as well as TV and live performances all of them subtitled so the entire audience can Sing-Along. Dress up as your favorite member of the Fab Four/favorite era of Beatle for the Costume Contest.
New York Jewish Film Festival till January 26.
- GOP lawmakers working on tax reform face a painful reminder that Trump has no ideological drive to tame the US deficit
- US deficit hits $666 billion -- this year
- Spain's Prime Minister announces unprecedented plan to stop Catalonia's bid for independence
- Missing California hikers found dead, locked in an embrace
- Lawmaker and wife of ex-HHS head asks whether people with HIV can be quarantined
- Police: Woman's death in freezer an accident
- Loved ones say good-bye to Sgt. La David Johnson, US soldier slain in Niger
- Man accused of recording teen's suicide
- Australia gets a letter from North Korea
- Battles rise from the ashes of the war on ISIS
- Catalonia independence: Spain pushes to remove leaders
- Crowds rally against direct rule in Barcelona
- Trump says he will allow scheduled release of JFK files
- Islamic State and the crisis in Iraq and Syria in maps
- Storm Brian: Gale-force winds and high seas hit UK coast
- Magazine apologises to Solange for editing image
- Aberdeenshire man 'kidnapped' in Vietnam is found alive
- BBC camera crew's view from a warzone
- Church of Scientology opens Birmingham HQ
- Modelling debut for boy, 11, with Down's syndrome