Run the city. ING New York City Marathon
November 6, 9:40am; starting on the Staten Island side of the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge and finishing at Central Park
45,000 competitors endure a punishing 26.2-mile journey through all five boroughs. Amateurs run alongside professional stars as millions of fans cheer them every step of the way. Marathoners compete not only on two legs but also on prostheses and wheels. Feeling lazy? One person ran 50 marathons in 50 days in 50 states. Best and hardest to get viewing spot is in the park near the finish line at 66 street.
Leonard Ursachi’s Well In Cadman Plaza, Brooklyn
The exhibition Well in bustling downtown Brooklyn at Cadman Plaza Park. Located on the lawn near the eastern entrance at Red Cross Place, the sculpture will be on through April 30, 2012. Ursachi’s sculpture, with its wellhead, lever and bucket, is suggestive of a traditional rural well.
The well is called a shared resource and gathering place. Its iconography is mythic—the source from which life and knowledge spring; a receptacle for our dreams and desires.
The Coney Island History Project presents a free screening of Charles Denson’s documentary starring Keith Suber on Saturday, November 5, 2011 at 7:00 pm. “The Last Immortal” premiered at the 2011 Coney Island Film Festival in September and was awarded Best Documentary Feature. After the movie, which runs 90 minutes, there will be a Q & A with Mr. Denson and Mr. Suber. Keith Suber is a forty-five year old reformed Coney Island gang leader, an original Rollin’ 60’s Crip who’s been shot four times and served ten years in a federal penitentiary.Liberation High School Auditorium 2865 West 19th Street at Mermaid Avenue, Coney Island
- They survived the California fires. Now, the crisis is finding a place to stay in an area where housing was already scarce
- Toxic tensions in the heart of 'Cancer Alley'
- Bigger battles are rising from the ashes of the war on ISIS
- Wife of former HHS secretary on people with HIV: How about quarantine?
- Police: Woman's death in freezer an accident
- Man accused of recording teen's suicide
- Spain to reveal steps for Catalonia direct rule
- WHO under fire for Mugabe ambassadorship
- Australia gets a letter from North Korea
- Police: 3 men made Nazi salutes, shot at protesters after Richard Spencer event
- Spain expected to impose Catalonia direct rule
- Motorway roadworks speed limit could be increased
- Mugabe named as goodwill ambassador by WHO
- Storm Brian: Gale-force winds and high seas hit UK coast
- Islamic State and the crisis in Iraq and Syria in maps
- Ballet hoping to help heal Charleston's wounds
- Man arrested after knife attack in Munich
- Is now the time to raise interest rates?
- Tony Warren's script for Coronation Street forerunner found
- Missing California hikers died in apparent murder-suicide