Run the city. ING New York City Marathon
November 6, 9:40am; starting on the Staten Island side of the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge and finishing at Central Park
45,000 competitors endure a punishing 26.2-mile journey through all five boroughs. Amateurs run alongside professional stars as millions of fans cheer them every step of the way. Marathoners compete not only on two legs but also on prostheses and wheels. Feeling lazy? One person ran 50 marathons in 50 days in 50 states. Best and hardest to get viewing spot is in the park near the finish line at 66 street.
Leonard Ursachi’s Well In Cadman Plaza, Brooklyn
The exhibition Well in bustling downtown Brooklyn at Cadman Plaza Park. Located on the lawn near the eastern entrance at Red Cross Place, the sculpture will be on through April 30, 2012. Ursachi’s sculpture, with its wellhead, lever and bucket, is suggestive of a traditional rural well.
The well is called a shared resource and gathering place. Its iconography is mythic—the source from which life and knowledge spring; a receptacle for our dreams and desires.
The Coney Island History Project presents a free screening of Charles Denson’s documentary starring Keith Suber on Saturday, November 5, 2011 at 7:00 pm. “The Last Immortal” premiered at the 2011 Coney Island Film Festival in September and was awarded Best Documentary Feature. After the movie, which runs 90 minutes, there will be a Q & A with Mr. Denson and Mr. Suber. Keith Suber is a forty-five year old reformed Coney Island gang leader, an original Rollin’ 60’s Crip who’s been shot four times and served ten years in a federal penitentiary.Liberation High School Auditorium 2865 West 19th Street at Mermaid Avenue, Coney Island
- As Hawaiians catch their breath following the missile scare, scrutiny reached the White House and how it grappled with the mistaken alarm
- They spent 38 minutes in Hawaii thinking they were under attack. Here's what they said to their loved ones.
- See how people reacted to the false missile threat
- Hawaii has been preparing for a missile attack; now its credibility is under fire
- False missile alert interrupts basketball game
- What went wrong with Hawaii's false emergency alert
- 13 people held captive in home, police say
- Danish police charge 1,000 young people with 'distribution of child porn'
- Detroit man deported to Mexico after 30 years in US
- Source: Rogue Venezuelan helicopter pilot killed by police
- Turpin: Shackled siblings found in Perris, California home
- Carillion: Small firms' support ends in 48 hours
- Top US gymnast Biles reveals abuse
- Australian father's instinct helps find trapped son
- 'Staggering' trade in fake degrees revealed
- Cranberries singer Dolores O'Riordan dies
- Iceland aims to be plastic free by 2023
- Product safety flaws 'exposed by Whirlpool danger dryers'
- Firefighter catches child from burning building
- £350m Brexit claim was 'too low', says Boris Johnson